History

The Old Primary School   Church2

In 1929, the Christian Brothers opened a school for boys on the Gregory Street side. Sub-senior classes were introduced in 1962. In 1981, when the parish primary school ceased to function, the primary section of Christian Brothers’ College was moved to the River Street site.

In June 1985, Bishop Bernard Wallace announced that the girls' secondary school, Our Lady of Mercy College, would become a junior co-educational college, Mercy College, and that the all boys' school, St. Patrick's Christian Brothers' College, would become a senior co-educational college, St Patrick’s College. Each new college commenced in 1987.